Sunday 29 July 2012

Into the Wild

Alaska has always been one of the world’s last frontiers for adventurers.  For generations and for different reasons, men have hurled themselves at its wild interior, often paying the ultimate price for doing so.   One such man was a part time doctor and full time adventurer named Lukas Grobler.

I met Lukas in May 2009.  He visited our church on Easter Sunday and immediately turned heads – though mostly those of the women amongst us.  Lukas was a striking man with an imposing build.  To best describe him I steal verbatim from F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby":

“He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it, that you may come across four or five times in life.  It faced – or seemed to face – the whole eternal world for an instant, and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favour.  It understood you just as far as you wanted to be understood, believed in you as you would like to believe in yourself, and assured you that it had precisely the impression of you that, at your best, you hoped to convey”

I’ve met tough and adventurous people in my time though none of them come close to Lukas.  He always went big and moreover, did things in style.  Before a brief spell in general surgery at one of Durban’s hospitals, he had completed an unsupported winter traverse of Southern Greenland with a Norwegian companion.  He was also an aspiring bow hunter and keen horseback rider.  Lukas was fastidious about food and baulked at anything that even remotely resembled a short cut in the kitchen.  I remember him once taking 24 hours to roast a leg of lamb and then forbidding his guests to bring any form of snack to dinner for fear of it spoiling their appetites.  Instead he laid on a perfectly grilled kudu loin which he sliced so thinly you could almost see the sunset through the pieces.  In short, he was a man who knew how to suck the marrow out of life.


But back to Alaska.  As far as I’ve been able to work out, Lukas and his Norwegian companion Olaf Schjoll had their sights set on an un-supported trek across the inhospitable northern part of the country.  The journey would start at the Canadian border and end 1600 kilometers away on the shores of the Bering Sea, a stone’s throw from the eastern tip of Siberia.  Between them lay the formidable Brooks Range, a 1000-mile mountain chain that, according to Wikipedia, has only been traversed by a handful of people.  Intending to live almost entirely off the land, the pair set off on June 21 equipped only with  as much food as they could carry, fishing tackle and Browning hunting rifle.  A photograph taken on June 20th shows Lucas in characteristic pose; standing astride the border separating Alaska and Canada, larger than life and looking like a modern day Grizzly Adams.

With the aid of a satellite device, Schjoll kept a meticulous blog in which he described the hills, rivers flora and fauna as well as the escalating hardships that came with the hostile terrain and inclement sub-Antarctic weather.  

On July 15th, he bemoaned the constant hunger and resulting loss of weight: 

“…we are starting to get terribly thin…we must have more food in one way or another!”

On July 17th, he described the mood between himself and Lukas as “sharp” remarking that they had argued on a number of issues.  

On July 20th, they discovered a ramshackle cabin and a modest stash of expired food.  The owner, it seems, had not been there since 2006.  Thanks to this small mercy they lived the good life for a few days, drawing from the cabin’s stash and augmenting it with trout caught in a nearby lake.  For a brief moment, a certain joy returned to the journey though Schjoll wrote, “I realize that the idea of self-sufficient trip has failed badly”.  

Two days later they celebrated Lukas’ birthday.

Friday July 27:  I stared at Schjoll's blog post in disbelief. 

“There is no easy way to say this: the expedition through the Brooks Range stopped yesterday, when Lukas Grobler died after a fall from a mountain cliff, into a river, Atigun Gorge”


A brief article on the Reuters newswire confirmed that the accident had occurred on Wednesday 25th July about 400 kilometres southeast of the town of Barrow and that Schjoll had used a satellite telephone to call for help.  It went on to say that the US Coast Guard found Lukas' body about a mile downstream from where he had fallen.

I hurried over to Lukas’ Facebook wall – already littered with condolences - more already than I was prepared to count.  The mood was (and still is at the time of this writing) one of complete sorrow and disbelief.  Someone had posted a picture of Rembrandt’s masterpiece “The Return of the Prodigal Son”.  The caption read: 

“As we mourn today, angels rejoice! Lukas Cornel Grobler is home with the Father!”

It was Lukas’ favourite Bible story and he spoke of it often during the brief time we knew him.  “Sometimes I’m the son – sometimes I’m the brother” – he would say.  He was an avid reader of anything written by C.S. Lewis - and perhaps because of this, someone had posted Brooke Fraser’s  hauntingly beautiful “C.S.  Lewis Song”:

If I find in myself desires nothing in this world can satisfy,
I can only conclude that I was not made for here…

For we, we are not long here
Our time is but a breath, so we better breathe it

Lucas isn't the first to succumb to the perils of the Alaskan Wilderness.  But it's hard to imagine that any of her victims influenced as many as he did in his short life.

Farewell Lukas.  You certainly made the most of the breath you had.  And though we only knew you a short time you left your mark. 

 Onwards!  Upwards!  Higher!


The Atigun Gorge where Lukas died


17 comments:

  1. A very touching tribute. He was a truly inspirational fellow. He immediately left an impression on anyone who came within a meter of him. He will be missed. A fine, fine man. Rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Reza - he was. I never banked on seeing him again but I am strangely moved nonetheless

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a truly touching, yet inspiring story! - We can learn great things from this young man, to live, every day to the full!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such true words! Thanks for this very touching tribute to Lukas. He was one of a kind,dear Lukas! A purehearted soul whom will be deeply missed by all the people who's lives he touched over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Annette for the comment. He will no doubt be missed. I did not know Olaf but must assume you are related. I pray for his safe return and recovery from the shock of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he is my husband. We are all in shock. My dearest Olaf is on his way home. We have trying times ahead...

      Delete
    2. We will pray for God's mercy and comfort. Brian

      Delete
  6. Thanks for this very moving eulogy Brian. I knew Cornel (he went by that name in varsity) for a few years of varsity life. We kept touch for some time after varsity but in recent years I've had very little contact with him.

    Regardless, when I learned of his passing I was rattled. This guy had influenced me more than I had known. My admiration for him started when I got to know his kind-hearted approach to people but was cemented when he started embarking on expeditions that the rest of us only fantasised about.

    As sad as it is to learn of his passing, I will say that he lived three lifetimes in his 38 years and he went out with his boots on.

    Again, thanks for putting up this post of yours. It was great to read an account from someone who had more recent contact with him than me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Dewald. Glad it served a purpose. My Condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having worked with Lucas recently as anaesthetist, my feelings and sentiments reflect all the moving comments on this site. He will be a great loss to our hospital in Southampton and my prayers and thoughts are with his family and all his friends.
    Malvena Stuart Taylor, UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Malvena. Condolences to you and your team.

      Delete
  9. A moving tribute. Those of us who knew Lukas from Above Bar Church in Southampton (where he worshipped last year and belonged to a homegroup until he left for Alaska in June) were shocked and saddened to learn of his tragic death. Hard to imagine that someone with such a presence and personality is no longer in this world, but good to know that, bcause of his faith in Jesus, Lukas is now safe with his Lord and more alive than ever! So hard for those left behind, though, and we are praying for Lukas' family and friends, including Olaf and Annette.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wonder if I have had the privilege of meeting this remarkable man - perhaps someone can help me?
    In December 2010 I was setting out chairs in Coventry cathedral, UK, when a tall, handsome man, with athletic build and a magnetic smile, enthusiastically teamed up with me to get the job done. There was something irresistible about him! He told me his name was Lukas, that he was from South Africa, and that he was visiting/working at the George Eliot hospital, Nuneaton. He gave me his details and took my number, and was keen to meet up and talk. I saw him a couple more times but we never got to meet up because of his tight schedule, but he was keen for me to contact him. I was intrigued but misplaced his email address. Last week I found it and discovered this news. Your description matches my impression. Could this be him?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Gavin - I'm betting it's the same guy. I know he was working at Southampton at one stage - not sure where Nuneaton is though

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Brian for this moving tribute to a very dear Friend. I met this young man in London in March 1993 on his gap year and we connected immediately. His first night in London I walked Hyde Park flat with this stranger that I had just met. We went to Israel together to work on a moshav and even though he is a good 7 years younger than me I always felt like he was my protector. We stayed in touch with each other through his varsity days and after when he was working in the UK or here in South Africa. I only read a year after his passing of the accident and was completely shocked to say the least, no words can describe the pain of his death, as this was a young man who inspired everyone was no longer there. The only comfort in this whole tragic event is that he was doing what he loved, so maybe this can bring a little comfort for all of us that knew him and his Family. I remember saying to him once that he is a gypsy as he cannot stay in one place to long - he needs to move to the next adventure. I think there were a lot of us who envied him with his adventures. Rest in Peace my dear Friend, I know you are smiling down on all us. Michele Thamcharoen

    ReplyDelete